3GPP Decoder is a open source tool to decode LTE, UMTS and GSM messages and protocols. The decoder uses WireShark to decode most of the Layer 3 messages (RRC/NAS). But for Layer 2 (RLC) decoding, I have added custom code.
Thanks Vincent Helfre for providing the original idea and code of 3GPP Decoder.
Supported Protocols and Messages
RRC SIs (SIBs and MIB)
How to Install 3GPP Decoder?
Before installing 3GPP Decoder you need to install Wireshark. Download Wireshark from this location: https://www.wireshark.org/download.html
When installing Wireshark, also install PCAP. (Wireshark will ask during installation if you want PCAP or not).
After installation check the directory where Wireshark is installed.
Download 3GPP Decoder and then run the Setup.exe.
After installation check the File >> Preference for Wireshark path. If not correct change it.
How to use 3GPP Decoder?
I have tried to keep the user interface simple. To decode a message just follow these steps:
1. Enter the HEX string in the top text box.
2. Select the access technology (LTE, UMTS or GSM). By default when the program starts it is selected as LTE
3. Select the message type from the drop down combo box
4. Press decode.
If for some reason you can not see any output, you may check the following.
1. Correctly paste the HEX string and check if the selected message is correct
2. Check Wireshark path. Use the File >> Preference to set the Wireshark path.
3GPP Decoder Installer
3GPP Decoder Source Code
Get the source code from : https://github.com/panigrahip/3GPPDecoder